Today is World Environment Day, which got us thinking about how we try and make our Studio as green as possible – in colour and sustainability! It is really important to us that we are always doing our best to reduce our environmental footprint as much as we can.
Digital design is becoming more and more popular which has obvious benefits to the environment. As more businesses are choosing to communicate their messages predominately via online platforms such as social media, their own website and email communications, less printing is required.
But the reality is that print based design is still a popular and effective way for businesses to communicate their brand – business cards, packaging, and flyers are just an example. So, when we are producing print materials, we always opt to use local print companies, who are environmentally aware. This means they do their best to reduce waste and carbon emissions, recycle their by-products and use vegetable-based inks and recycled paper. We also talk to our client about ways to print greener – for example, using thinner card with a lower GSM or a smaller sized business card if possible.
We are also always on the lookout for ways to improve our environmental footprint within the Greenhouse. Here are some of the ways we approach being GREEN:
- Being an almost entirely paperless office. Almost all of our communications and administration are done electronically, meaning our print requirements are very low. This is important to us as paper product manufacturing contributes significantly to deforestation and man-made climate change. If we absolutely need to print something in-house, we use always recycled paper.
- Recycling our waste wherever possible.
- Harnessing the sun’s natural light. We are lucky to have a studio that is filled with natural light, so we rarely need to use the studio lights. However when we do, our energy saving LEDs keep our power use to a minimum.
- Switching off electrical equipment when we leave for the day.
- Using environment friendly cleaning products to keep the Studio spick and span!
- Keeping the air clean. We are the Greenhouse by name and nature – the studio is filled with plants! We love bringing nature into the office to give it a calming vibe and improve the air quality.
Happy World Environment Day! Think GREEN!